In Aviary, Resources can be created manually or via the Bulk Import function.
Create Resources Manually
To create resources manually, go to the "Resources" page and click the “Add Resource” button.
On the next page:
- Select the parent collection
- Enter a resource display title (this field is required). The display title is what will be displayed in searches or anywhere your resource is visible.
- Indicate if the resource should be featured. Featured content shows in the organization’s and Aviary’s “Featured Content” lane on the homepages.
- Select the visibility of the resource
- Public: visible to all users on the organization and Aviary site
- Private: restricted to logged in users from your organization or to specific user groups
- Unpublished: not published to the organization or Aviary websites (only organization users and administrators can see them).
- Click "Save".
At this point, your resource has been created in Aviary. On the next page, you can associate a file(s) with that resource.
Add Media to a Resource
First, select your file import method. Aviary allows three methods to import media:
- File Upload: select the file from you local environment. Multiple media files can be uploaded at once from a zipped directory on your computer.
- Link Upload: use URLs for media on the web.
- Embed Code: use an HTML media embed code (Avalon, SoundCloud, Vimeo, YouTube).
Selecting File Upload or Link Upload will upload a copy of the media to Aviary. Selecting the Embed Code method will stream the media from the embed code location.
After you have uploaded your media, you will see a list of the resource’s associated media below the “Upload and Continue” button:
In the "Uploaded Media Files" section you can:
- Replace or remove the current media files
- Use drag and drop to reorder media files. Media files will show in the player in this order.
- Use the "Manage Media button" to:
- Add or replace a thumbnail
- Restrict the visibility of media files (set "Public?" option to "Yes" or "No")
Next, you can either click on the “Edit Description” to add or edit descriptive metadata for the resource, or click on "Save". In both cases, you will be directed to the resource detail page where you can Add Indexes and Transcripts to your resource.
Related articles appear here based on the labels you select. Click to edit the macro and add or change labels.